It is a process of finding and solving the security flaws in cloud security. The sole purpose of this testing is to check the strengths and weakness of the cloud security.
Benefits of performing Cloud Security Assessment
- Vulnerabilities: It can assist an organisation find vulnerabilities and shortcomings in its cloud infrastructure and services. It enables you to identify potential security vulnerabilities, misconfigurations, or faults that attackers could exploit.
- Risk Mitigation:It can help you better identify the possible hazards connected with your cloud environment. This knowledge enables you to successfully apply risk mitigation strategies and prioritise security measures.
- Compliance and Regulations: Many businesses have unique data protection and privacy regulation requirements, such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). A cloud security evaluation ensures that your cloud infrastructure complies with these standards, thereby avoiding legal and financial ramifications.
- Improved Data Protection: These evaluations aid in determining the efficacy of data protection techniques applied in the cloud environment. Encryption, access controls, data separation, and incident response processes are all part of this. You can improve the security and confidentiality of your data by fixing any flaws.
- Incident Response Preparedness: Assessments assist organisations in preparing for future cloud security incidents. Organisations can discover gaps, streamline processes, and develop a more robust incident response framework by analysing existing incident response plans. In the event of a security breach, this assures a prompt and effective reaction.
- Cost Optimization: It can assist organisations in cost-cutting by identifying unneeded or redundant security procedures. Organisations can decrease costs while maintaining an appropriate security posture by simplifying security measures and eliminating overlapping or ineffective controls.
Cloud security Responsibility matrix
Cloud Security Assessment
Cloud Security Risk Assessment
Cloud Data Security
Cloud Penetration Testing
Best Practices to keep in mind:
1.Check the Service Level Agreement and make sure that proper policy has been covered between Cloud service provider (CSP) and Client.
2.To maintaining the Governance & Compliance, check the proper responsibility between Cloud service provider and subscriber.
3.Check the service level agreement Document and track the record of CSP, determine role and responsibility to maintain the cloud resources.
4.Check the computer and Internet usage policy and make sure it has been implemented with proper policy.
5.Check the data which is stored in cloud servers is encrypted by default.
6.Check the Two Factor authentication is used and validate the OTP to ensure the network security.
7.Check the SSL certificates for cloud services in the URL and make sure certificates purchased from repudiated Certificate Authority (COMODO, Entrust, Symantec, Thawte etc.)
8.Check the Component of the access point, data center, devices, using appropriate security Control.
9.Check the policies and procedure for disclose the data to third parties.
10.Check if CSP offers for cloning and virtual machines when required.
11. Check the proper input validation for Cloud applications to avoid web application Attacks such as XSS, CSRF, SQLi, etc.
12. To know more about Cloud security controls, use CCM